(Image Source: National Weather Service, NOAA)
By Glenn A. Walsh
Reporting for SpaceWatchtower
The Sun affects life on Earth in many ways. In the early Autumn, it can have a negative affect on some people who drive motor vehicles: Autumn Sun Glare.
During the month of October, actually from the Autumnal Equinox on September 22 until the end of Daylight Saving Time on November 2, the Sun can be a danger to motorists. For commuters who drive any segment of highway directly east or west during morning and / or afternoon rush hours, the location of the rising or setting Sun near the horizon can cause momentary (or longer) virtual blindness.
Some Tips to Remain Safe When Driving with Autumn Sun Glare ---
* Be aware that other drivers may be blinded by sun glare.
* Wear quality, polarized sunglasses to help reduce glare.
* Ensure your windshield is clean before you start.
* Do not put reflective items on the dashboard.
* Increase the following distance behind the vehicle ahead of you, to allow three or more seconds between vehicles.
* Turning on headlights can help other motorists see you, as they are driving towards the Sun.
* If possible, use a travel route that mostly avoids east-west driving, unless east-west roads include shade from trees or buildings.
* Always stay aware !
If you live in a metropolitan area with train, subway, or bus service, you may want to try public transit on very sunny days. You may even save some money on gasoline and parking rates!
Source: Glenn A. Walsh, Reporting for SpaceWatchtower, a project of Friends of the Zeiss.
2014: 75th Year of Pittsburgh's Buhl Planetarium
Want to receive SpaceWatchtower blog posts in your inbox ?
Send request to < email@example.com >..
Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/fotz/ >
Electronic Mail - < firstname.lastname@example.org >
SpaceWatchtower Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >
Also see: South Hills Backyard Astronomers Blog: < http://shbastronomers.blogspot.com/ >
Barnestormin: Writing, Essays, Pgh. News, & More: < http://www.barnestormin.blogspot.com/ >
About the SpaceWatchtower Editor / Author: < http://buhlplanetarium2.tripod.com/weblog/spacewatchtower/gaw/ >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
Twitter: < https://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >
Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
< http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:
< http://garespypost.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
* Public Transit:
I love to read this, thank you.flatbed towing serviceReplyDelete