The White House has posted a response (yes, it’s real) on its web site to a petition asking that the federal government “[s]ecure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016.” The petition, which garnered nearly 35,000 signatures, was posted on the White House petition site in November.
The short answer? No. A few reasons for not building a Death Star:
- The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We’re working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
- The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
- Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
The Death Star, officially called the DS-1 Orbital Battle Station, is a piece of fiction (so far) which appeared in the Star Wars movies. It was the main feature in the Galactic Empire‘s arsenal and was capable of destroying a planet with one shot of its super laser.
More - Link >>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2013/01/12/white-house-no-tax-dollars-for-death-star/
Source: Forbes Magazine.
Actual public petition for construction of 'Death Star' with White House response:
Link >>> https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/secure-resources-and-funding-and-begin-construction-death-star-2016/wlfKzFkN
Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < firstname.lastname@example.org >
About the Author: < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#GAW >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
Twitter: < http://twitter.com/
Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/
Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
< http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:
< http://garespypost.tripod.com >
* cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
* Public Transit: